PCHR: Weekly Report on Israeli Human Rights Violations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory – – IMEMC News12 Febbraio 2021
Summary for 04 – 10 February 2021
Israeli occupation forces (IOF) continued to commit crimes and multi-layered violations against Palestinian civilians and their properties, including raids into Palestinian cities that are characterized with excessive use of force, assault, abuse and attacks on civilians that are mostly conducted after midnight and in the early morning hours.
This week, a settler killed a Palestinian civilian at Mount al-Risan in Ramallah; and another settler attacked the Romanian Orthodox Church. Furthermore, illegal Israeli settlers also conducted wide scale attacks on Palestinian lands and houses and at intersections. Additionally, IOF conducted wide-scale demolition operations; and served demolition and cease-construction notices, mostly in the northern Jordan valleys, eastern West Bank.
This week, the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) documented 209 violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law (IHL) by IOF and settlers in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt).
IOF shooting and violation of right to bodily integrity:
On 05 February 2021, Israeli settler (security guard) killed Khaled Maher Nofal (32); the settler shot Nofal in Mount al-Risan area, western Ramallah. IOF announced that Nofal arrived at an Israeli farm and attempted to break into a house; quarrelled with a settler before being shot. IOF also announced that Nofal did not carry any weapon.
Additionally, IOF shot and injured 19 civilians, including six children, in excessive use of force against civilians in the West Bank: 10 at two protests in Kufur Qaddoum – Qalqilia; 3, including a child who was arrested after his injury, in Ramallah; 4, including a child, in Jenin; another Palestinian was injured after his arrest; two more children sustained injuries in Bethlehem.
In the Gaza Strip, four IOF shootings were reported on agricultural lands eastern Gaza Strip, and twice at fishing boats off Gaza’s northern shore.
IOF incursions and arrests of Palestinian civilians:
IOF carried out 95 incursions into the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem. Those incursions included raids of civilian houses and shootings, enticing fear among civilians, and attacking many of them. During this week’s incursions, 95 Palestinians were arrested, including 7 children.
In the Gaza Strip, IOF conducted 4 incursions into eastern Beit Hanoun, Deir al-Balah, Khan Younis and Rafah.
PCHR documented 12 incidents:
Hebron: an under-construction house was demolished; and 4 demolition notices were served, and 4 tents were demolished in al-Towana village.
Ramallah: 3 water wells demolished in Al-Mughayyir village.
Tubas: 12 residential tents demolished and confiscated; as well as 11 barracks and a sheep barn owned by 9 Palestinian families in Kherbet Yazra; also, 5 tents were removed in Kherbet Humsa in northern Jordan valleys.
Nablus: 13 demolition notices served (11 houses and 2 barracks) in Sarra.
Occupied East Jerusalem: abandoned house demolished in Sheikh Jarrah
Bethlehem: demolition notice (barracks used for cattle).
Jericho: 4 rainwater collection pools razed.
Salfit: 13 cease-construction notices served (11 houses, a playground, and a street).
PCHR fieldworkers reported and documented 9 settler-violence incidents:
Occupied East Jerusalem: attack on Romanian Orthodox Church
Nablus: assault on Khan al-Laban, and civilian houses in Asira al-Qibliya
Hebron: shepherds assaulted in al-Twana village
Salfit: 60 olive and citrus trees uprooted; Palestine TV crews assaulted while covering open media day
Ramallah: civilians assaulted in Sinjil
Bethlehem: settler scheme discovered to establish a community in al-Baidya al-Sahrqia
Within the Israeli collective punishment policy practiced against Palestinians and the families of those accused of carrying out actions against IOF or settlers, on Wednesday, 10 February 2020, IOF demolished the not yet convicted Mohammed Kabha’s house in Tura, Jenin. Kabha is imprisoned by Israel.
Israeli closure policy and restrictions on freedom of movement:
The Gaza Strip still suffers the worst closure in the history of the Israeli occupation of the oPt as it has entered the 14th consecutive year, without any improvement to the movement of persons and goods, humanitarian conditions and bearing catastrophic consequences on all aspects of life.
Meanwhile, IOF continued to divide the West Bank into separate cantons with key roads blocked by the Israeli occupation since the Second Intifada and with temporary and permanent checkpoints, where civilian movement is restricted, and they are subject to arrest.
I. Shooting and other Violations of the Right to Life and Bodily Integrity
- On Friday dawn, 05 February 2021, Israeli settlers killed a Palestinian civilian after opening fire at him in Mount al-Risan area in Ras Karkar village, west of Ramallah. According to Israeli media, at approximately 03:30, Khaled Maher Nofal (32), from Ras Karkar village, arrived via his car at Sde Ephraim farm, which is established by Israeli settlers on Palestinians’ lands in Mount al-Risan area. Nofal attempted to enter an Israeli settler’s house, where hand-to-hand fighting occurred between Nofal and an Israeli settler. Meanwhile, another Israeli settler, a security guard in the area, opened fire at Nofal, killing him immediately. The Israeli authorities declared later that they did not find any weapons with Nofal. Nofal’s family told PCHR’s fieldworker that at approximately 05:00, a large number of Israeli soldiers raided and searched their house and told them that Khaled sustained serious wounds, and he is receiving treatment at a hospital in Israel. IOF claimed that Nofal attempted to carry out an attack in an Israeli farm. IOF also asked Nofal’s father to look at his son clothes and belongings on an Israeli soldier’s cellphone. Nofal’s father and his son Mohammed were taken to the scene in Mount al-Risan area. Upon their arrival, they saw Khaled’s car parked there, but IOF did not allow them to see his corpse. Next day morning, the family received a phone call from the Palestinian Liaison office informing them that Khaled died, and IOF refused to deliver his corpse. It should be noted that Khaled was married with a 4-year-old child.
- At approximately 07:55, IOF stationed along the Gaza’s border fence with Israel, east of Khan Younis, opened fire at agricultural lands, east of Abasan village; no causalities were reported.
- At approximately 09:00, IOF stationed along the Gaza’s border fence with Israel, east of al-Showka village, opened fire at agricultural lands; no causalities were reported.
- At approximately 12:30, IOF stationed at the northern entrance to Kufur Qaddoum village, north of Qalqilia, suppressed a peaceful protest organized by dozens of Palestinian young men. IOF chased Palestinian young men gathered in the area, clashed with them, and fired sponge bullets, sound bombs and teargas canisters at them. As a result, 5 civilians, including a child, were shot with rubber and sponge bullets in their lower limbs and one was shot in his back.
- At approximately 14:30 on Friday, 05 February 2021, IOF backed by military vehicles moved into Kafr Malik village, northeast of Ramallah, and stationed in the village’s eastern side. IOF deployed between Palestinians’ houses and indiscriminately fired teargas canisters at them, breaking solar heaters above ‘Abed al-Qader Sa’ied’s house. Also, dozens of civilians suffocated due to teargas inhalation. During which, dozens of Palestinian young men gathered and threw stones and empty bottles at IOF, who immediately responded with rubber bullets. Violent clashes erupted in the area, during which, Wesam Yousef ‘Aqel, 17, headed towards the bypass road adjacent to the village. When he arrived there, IOF opened fire at him, wounding him with 2 live bullets in his foot and hand, and then arrested him. Wesam also sustained a teargas canister shrapnel wounds in his eye. At approximately 16:00, IOF released him and delivered him for the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS)’s ambulance, which took him to Beit Jala Governmental Hospital for treatment. Medical sources classified his medical health as stable. Clashes between IOF and Palestinian young men continued until 17:30. During these clashes, IOF chased the stone-throwers and fired rubber bullets at them. As a result, a 24-year-old male was shot with a rubber bullet in his foot and was taken to Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah for treatment.
- At approximately 18:30, IOF stationed on “60” street, which is located near “Ofra” settlement, east of Ramallah, opened fire at 3 civilians while present near the eastern entrance to Silwad village, near the mentioned street. As a result, a 22-year-old male, from Jalazone refugee camp, was shot with a live bullet in his left thigh, while another male sustained fractures in his foot. Both of them were taken to Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah for treatment.
- At approximately 13:00 on Saturday, 06 February 2021, IOF stationed in a military watchtower established at the entrance to Beit Ummar village, north of Hebron, indiscriminately fired sound bombs and teargas canisters at Palestinian vehicles parked near the village’s entrance. IOF claimed that Palestinian young men threw stones at them. As a result, many civilians suffocated due to teargas inhalation. Also, IOF closed the village’s entrance, established a checkpoint there, stopped Palestinians’ vehicles, and checked the passengers’ IDs.
- At approximately 14:30 on Saturday, 06 February 2021, IOF stationed at the northern entrance to Kufur Qaddoum village, north of Qalqilia, suppressed a peaceful protest organized by dozens of Palestinian young men. IOF chased Palestinian young men gathered in the area, clashed with them, and fired sponge bullets, sound bombs and teargas canisters at them. As a result, 5 civilians, including a child, were shot with rubber and sponge bullets in their lower limbs; two of them were shot in their face and back.
- At approximately 20:30, IOF moved into al-Tur neighborhood, east of occupied East Jerusalem’s Old City, and stationed in al-Nakhla neighborhood. IOF established military checkpoints at the neighborhood entrances, searched Palestinian civilians and checked their IDs. During which, a number of Palestinian young men gathered and threw stones, Molotov Cocktails, and fireworks at IOF, who chased the protestors in the neighborhood and fired heavy rubber bullets and teargas canisters at them. IOF withdrew later from the neighborhood; no arrests were reported.
- At approximately 07:15 on Sunday, 07 February 2021, Israeli gunboats stationed off Waha Shore, northwest of Beit Lahia, north of the Gaza Strip, chased Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles, opened sporadic fire around them and pumped water at them, causing fear among the fishermen and forcing them to flee. No casualties were reported.
- At approximately 08:20, IOF moved into Jenin and stationed in the Old City. Meanwhile, a number of Palestinian young men gathered and threw stones at IOF, who responded with live and rubber bullets, teargas canisters and sound bombs. As a result, 2 civilians, including a child, were shot with live bullets in their lower limbs. Also, IOF ran over another civilian, wounding him in his left ankle. The wounded civilians were taken to Dr. Khalil Suliman Hospital for treatment. Moreover, many civilians suffocated due to teargas inhalation and received treatment on the spot. During IOF incursion, they raided and searched Osama Hasan Naser Salah’s, 25, house and arrested him, taking him to an unknown destination.
- At approximately 03:45 on Monday, 08 February 2021, IOF moved into Tal’at al-Khuboz area, southwest of Jenin, and topped houses’ roofs. Nour ‘Abed al-Kareem Mohammed al-Betawi, 31, knew that IOF stationed near his 2-storey house, so he went up to the house roof to look at the soldiers. When he arrived at the roof, IOF stationed in a nearby house roof opened fire at him, wounding him with a live bullet in his chest from the left side, and 3 other bullets penetrated the house wall. Al-Betawi went down quickly to his wife, Nadiyia al-Betawi, and told her that he was wounded. Al-Betawi heard IOF entered his brothers Omar and Mahmoud’s house located in the ground floor, so he went down to them and told them he was wounded. Al-Betawi’s wife followed him while she was carrying her 4-month daughter and crying. IOF provided first aid to al-Betawi, arrested him, and threw a sound bomb in the house before leaving